Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Southwestern Quinoa


I really need to quit slacking on the quality of my food photos....'Cause this picture doesn't do this recipe justice.

Again, this recipe is a result of my trying to plan ahead for the recent (and temporary) change of working 4 10-hour shifts. Plus, I don't know about you, but, sometimes, you just want to eat food that is better for you, fresher, and tastier than "freezer food." I mean, frozen meals are convenient "in a pinch," but, who doesn't love some homemade goodness all the better? Ain't that the truth.

As such, I'm utilizing Quinoa a lot more. It's tasty cold or hot, stores well in the fridge, and takes minimal prep time. Did I mention it is darn good for you? Well, it is!
Check out these stats:

  • 7 grams of protein per serving 
  • all 9 of the essential amino acids
  • a complex carb 
  • a great substitute for rice or couscous (okay, maybe that fact is just a bonus) 

Oh, yeah, and to sweeten the deal..I found an organic, pre-washed bag at Sam's Club!
Whoot-Whoot! I love me some savings! ($$$) :)

I based my version of Southwestern Quinoa from THIS RECIPE on Food..com, but I changed up the proportions of the ingredients plus added and omitted a couple of ingredients, as well. 

This is a great on-the-go/portable lunch - just prep on Sunday and store in the refrigerator to eat during the week. 
Southwestern Quinoa
Makes 3 Servings

Ingredients:
3/4 cup uncooked Quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup of Corn
2 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 - 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
1 Green Onion, diced
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Coriander OR 1 Tbs of fresh Cilantro
Juice of half a Lime
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1) Cook Quinoa according to packaged directions. 
2) After Quinoa is fully cooked, remove quinoa from direct heat. 
3) Stir in remaining ingredients. 
4) Portion as preferred and store in refrigerator or Serve and Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment