Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mediterranean Chicken


Ever since the hubby and I have eaten at this amazing  Mediterranean restaurant here in town, I have been on a "Mediterranean kick!" I just can't get enough!
Since then, I think my awareness for and desire to make Mediterranean-style recipes has been amplified. 
Hence, this Mediterranean Chicken recipe. 
The original recipe is made in a crock pot, but since I have a crock pot on steroids  I changed up the cooking method and use my Dutch Oven (Omg, I love, love, love my D.O.- my fav kitchen appliance!)

I did however, follow the ingredient portion of the recipe - I promise, I didn't change a thing (this time)!
Oh, wait, I just remembered....
I did change what kind of chicken I used....I used boneless chicken breasts instead of bone-in legs and thighs (because of a "hubby preference"). 


Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Recipe (serves 4 large portions) 


Ingredients
1/3 cup white wine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 cup prunes
1/3 cup pitted green olives
4 small chicken breasts (about 2-1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I used 1 Tbs dried parsley)
1 cup long-grain white rice

Directions

1) In a stove-top in a dutch oven, add wine, brown sugar, oregano, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; whisk together. Add garlic, capers, prunes, and olives; mix. Let the mixture "bubble" for a bit. 



2) Add chicken, nestling it among olives and prunes. Cover the dutch oven with lid, bring chicken and mixture to a boil, then reduce to low and let cook for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. (A longer, slower, cooking helps the flavors meld together.)


3) In a separate pot, cook rice according to package directions. Serve chicken, prunes, olives, and sauce over rice. Sprinkle with parsley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment