Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ham & Swiss Hawaiian "Party" Sandwiches




Oh, oh, oh....YUM!
Yeah, these Ham & Swiss Hawaiian "Party" Sandwiches truly deserve that kind of response.
They make me wanna sing that song, "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my tummy!" (<---click to refresh your memory of this jazzy tune.)

I have to give credit to the hubby for asking for these for dinner. He asked for me to make them about a week or so ago, so, I picked up the all the necessary ingredients (or so I though I picked up all the necessary ingredients...more on that later) from the grocery store. As we were eating this for dinner, ooooh's and aaahh's and mentions of "Darn, I forgot how good these are" were spoken. The hubby may have bragged that making this recipe was his idea and that "this was the best idea" he's ever had. (You know who guys are!). Although, I have to admit, I kind of agreed.
Ham & Swiss Hawaiian "Party" Sandwiches are definitely making a more frequent occurrence in our dinner rotation. Without a doubt.

Served with Sabra Red Pepper Hummus & Carrots...Okay, I may have put back some of the hummus  & carrots in favor of another sandwich...They're SO good! Don't judge. ;)

Firstly, the recipe is as follows:
Adapted from AllRecipes.com

Makes 12 mini sandwiches
Ingredients:

  • 1 pack of Hawaiian mini sandwich rolls
  • Deli Ham, 1/3- 1/2 pound of sliced  (I used Black Forest Ham)
  • Swiss Cheese, 3 squares, sliced - each square cut into quarters
  • Butter or Margarine, 1/4 cup melted (I used Blue Bonnet Light Margarine simply to cut down on the calories)*
  • 1 Tbs Poppy seeds
  • 1/2 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce*
  • 1 Tbs of Dijon Mustard*
  • 1/4 tsp of Onion powder
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together butter, poppy seeds, onion, Worcestershire sauce and prepared Dijon mustard.
  3. Slice rolls in half horizontally and set aside tops. Spread bottoms with the butter mixture. Top with ham and Swiss cheese. Replace tops.
  4. Arrange rolls in a single layer in a medium baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes, until rolls are lightly browned and cheese is melted.

*Now, speaking of my "thinking" I had all the necessary ingredients....when I went to makes these, I realized I had 1) no Dijon mustard and 2) no Worcestershire. Um, yeah, out of the 9 necessary ingredients, I didn't have 2. That's almost like I was missing 1/4 of the required ingredients! Well, darn. So, what did I do?
I improvised!! (I feel like there should be a "Ta-da!!!" to go with that comment.)

I found a Dijon Mustard Substitute on food.com and tasted & tweaked to my liking and used Soy Sauce instead of Worcestershire. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit worried the soy would adversely affect the taste of the sandwiches...and the Dijon substitute was a bit spicier than normal....
I don't know how, but it all worked - the sandwiches tasted just as they should!
Hoorah!
Dinner is saved!

Now, I won't make a habit of subbing soy for Worcestershire or using a Dijon substitute, but it's good to know they work "in a pinch."

Never a dull moment in this kitchen.


P.S. Sorry I've been MIA - changed in work schedule, work travel, and excessively tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment