Friday, April 12, 2013

Gyro Panini on Spinach & Feta Bread


Oh, I wish I had a better picture of this deliciousness!
This Gyro Panini combines two great culinary loves of mine - Lamb Gyros & Paninis!
I love, love, love me a good gyro. And smother that sam'mich with all that tzatziki? 
Oh, yum, and fly me to the moon
Amazing.
Not to mention...who doesn't love an ooey-gooey ,crispy & toasted panini?
Now, combine those two...and Bam! You have yourself a Gyro Panini.
(FYI: controversy exists on how to pronounce "Gyro": "Jai-Roh," "Yeer-Oh," or "Heer-Oh"...take your pick...Who Cares?! As long as it's delicious, I say!)



I have to admit, part of the reason this dish is so tasty is due to a few great products:
Spinach & Feta Bread from our local Stonemill Bakery
Ground lamb, organic from our Schneker Family Farms
(And these were delivered right to my front door - talk about service!)
However, I'm sure any good quality lamb and bread would also work fantastically.


Here's the recipe:
Serves 4 generous portions

Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Lamb
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

Panini:
8 slices of Spinach & Feta Bread (Makes 4 sandwiches)
3/4 - 1 cup of crumbled feta OR Goat cheese (we used Goat Cheese)
3/4 cup Tzatziki sauce (<---Click for recipe)
2 Roma Tomatoes, sliced


Directions:
1) For the gyro meat, combine all ingredients and mix well. 
2) Place in a loaf pan. Cover with foil. Cook on 360 degrees for 45-55 minutes until cooked through. While hot, drain excess grease from pan. Set aside and let cool. Once the lamb meat has cooled, slice into 16 pieces.

4) Assemble each sandwich follows:
  • 2 slices of bread
  • 1/4 (ish) cup of crumbled feta OR goat cheese
  • 3 Tbs Tzatziki Sauce
  • 2 slices of Tomato
  • 1/4 lb of Sliced Lamb Gyro
5) Heat Panini Press (I used our George Foreman). Spray Press with non-stick spray. Cook paninis until lightly browned. 
6) Serve & Yum!

I Served ours with a side or Roasted Asparagus (Now, $1.88/lb!!!!!) seasoned with Mrs. Dash Tomato & Basil & Olive Oil. 



No comments:

Post a Comment