Saturday, March 16, 2013

Low Carb Pizza

Announcement!
Hold the phone....I now have the FOOD NETWORK CHANNEL on my cable list
AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
I'm so excited!!!!!
Dear Food Network, I am so sorry it has been 6 LONG months since I have subscribed to thee. 
I miss you and I offer you so very much of my tv viewing time. 
Okay, now, the food. 

***

I've mentioned on here a week or so ago that I'm trying to do a low-carb diet. 
Nothing crazy, I'm still eating a few carbs, but trying to minimize it to around 50g a day. 
Well, what is delicious, but full of chewy, doughy, tasty carbs?
PIZZA!
I mean, who doesn't like pizza? 
Weirdos, that's who. 
(Sorry, somebody had to say it.) 

Well, since I'm trying to watch the carb-O-hydrates, I thought I'd make this "No Carb Pizza" recipe I found on the blog "They Smell." (Yeah. No Joke.)

Again, I will personally refer to this as "Low Carb Pizza" rather than a "No Carb Pizza" due to the fact the cream cheese and marinara sauce has some amount of carbohydrates. (Very little, but still.) 

How'd it go?
It's a fairly good substitute for pizza. 
Well, let's be honest, without the bread, this isn't going to be "real" pizza, but it suffices the craving. 
It has all the major elements of a pizza, cheese, pepperoni, sauce, and a "crust."
If you having a hankerin' for pizza and feel the urge...Don't Give In!
Make THIS and withstand! 
I know I would make this again to "get me through" the craving. 

I followed the recipe, but added MORE Cheese and MORE sauce (which added to the net carb total).
I also used Italian 5-Cheese blend as my cheese (love that stuff).  



Ingredients:

For the crust:For the pizza:
  • 1 (8 oz.) package of reduced fat cream cheese (room temp.)
  • 2 eggs
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup jarred marinara sauce*
  • A pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian 5-cheese
  • Sauteed turkey pepperoni
  • Garlic powder

*Finding a sauce that doesn't contain added sugar is not easy, but I did find a “no sugar added” by Ragu that with a few added seasonings tastes fantastic on the pizza.

Directions:

For the crust:For the pizza:
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Butter a 9×13 baking dish
  • Blend cream cheese and eggs and season with pepper & garlic powder
  • Add Parmesan cheese and stir until combined
  • Pour into buttered baking dish
  • Bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown
  • Let crust cool for 10 minutes before adding toppings
  • After crust is cooked, raise oven to 400 degrees
  • Mix together marinara sauce, garlic powder, cayenne pepper & oregano
  • Top crust with marinara and spread evenly
  • Top with mozzarella cheese
  • Add toppings
  • Bake for 8 minutes or until cheese is bubbly

The crust is not crisp like traditional pizza.  Make sure you cook it til the top is golden brown and let it cool the full 10 minutes before adding the toppings and that will help.  You still may end up with a fork, but good, soft pizza is better than no pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment