Sunday, March 10, 2013

Low-Carb Crepes (aka "No Carb Pancakes")



So, I'm attempted the low-carb thing for a bit. 
I stumbled across THIS RECIPE, "No-Carb Pancakes," on Mellissa's blog "I Breathe...I'm Hungry"
(Love the name of her blog, btw.)

I've tried many "healthy" pancake recipes only to be disappointed. 
But this recipe calls only for 
1)  Cream Cheese, 2 oz.
2) 2 Eggs
3) Truvia, 1 packet
4) Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp


That's it.
I'm quite a firm believer that a recipe that has cream cheese or sour cream is almost always good. 
(I could swear, it's magical.) 
But, I still wondered how these very few simple ingredients would made a pancake crepe.

So, I thought I'd "give it a whirl."
(See below...pun intended.)

1) "Whirl" all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. 


2) Let the mixture rest for 2 minutes to let the bubbles settle. 
3) Cook in a non-stick skillet with butter spray on medium heat for about 2 minutes total. 
(I set my skillet heat on "5" - Right in the middle.)

Voila!

So, how was it?
Surprisingly Successful.
Now, in my opinion, this recipe makes more of a "crepe" than a "pancake."
The thinness/consistency is totally crepe - not "fluffy" like a pancake.
Plus, I'm a bit new to carb-counting stuff, but I estimate these (without the filling) have a total of 4g carbs.
Minimal, yes, but existent carbs. 

Overall, the Low-Carb Crepes provide a nice neutral base and flavor consistent with that of a crepe/pancake. 

It was screamin' (Ahh!) for some filling. 
So, I made 2 similar fillings (again, low-carb). 

Greek Yogurt, Truvia, & Strawberry Filling
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 tsp Truvia
1/4 cup diced Strawberries


Greek Yogurt, Truvia, & Cinnamon Filling

1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 tsp Truvia
1/4 tsp Cinnamon



Both were delicious!!!

I think I'm going to try a savory version of this, too by omitting the Truvia and making a savory filling.

YUM!!!!!! 




Served as a Pancake:
Um...that doesn't look right....



Redo to Crepe: 
Looks better, don't you agree?


Yep, Crepe is better.
Nom. Nom. Nom. 

Just Roll it and Go. 
Roll it and Go.



No comments:

Post a Comment