Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chana Masala (Indian Chickpeas)


Namaste!
(That's "hello" in Hindi. And, I possibly had to "google it." Yeah, I know, "duh.")

I great you from the lands of India!
(Yeah, again, I know - nerd!)
I found a recipe for Chana Masala on Clean Eating Veggie Girl's blog that peaked my interest. 
I love me some Indian food and I've been trying to make a few more meat-free dishes. 
But, I'm always a bit anxious when it comes to making certain cuisines, like Indian or Asian, because, let's be honest, there are just some things us Americans just can't make as well as others. 
But, we can fry y'all up some mean burgers and fried chicken.
Now, we got that covered. 

Okay. Okay. 
Back to the Chana Masala. 
So, as I was saying, I got "the hankering" to make this dish. 
However, I decided to break out the ol' crockpot since I knew I'd home later than usual (a short workout and group run planned). 
Me home later = Starvin' Marvin'!
So, I pretty much followed the recipe, with some slight deviations...

Ingredients:
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tsp finely grated ginger (about 1 1/2-2 inches of a knob of ginger)
3 TB tomato paste
1 TB ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground tumeric mustard (No tumeric in stock!)
1 15 oz can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 1/4 tsp garam masala*

Directions:
1) Combine all in a crockpot. 
2) Cook for about 4 hours on low. **

*To make your own garam masala ---> :http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Garam-Masala/  
**When I made it, I originally cooked it for only 2 hours, b/c I was afraid my super-fast slow cooker would torch it. However, my chickpeas were still a bit cruncher than I liked. So, I cooked for about 1 1/2 hours longer. I would say about 4 hours is about right, but, to be honest, it is an estimate based on the type of crockpot you have (I have a 6-quart). 

***

So, I don't think I "recapped" properly regarding Tina's Best Body Bootcamp, but it was great! 
I am totally signed up for Round 5.
I encourage anyone to who is looking for a low-cost but thorough workout plan to join!
 It's only $25 for 8-weeks AND there's prizes!
And, no need to fear - The workouts are designed so you can adjust them to fit your fitness level/desired intensity. 
I dare ya, go check it out!

Okay, I almost didn't post this capital NERDY photo of me...This is after the Round 4 BBB (and more specifically after 2 intervals of Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred dvd - tough!). Anyway, I think I spy a tiny bit of muscle - Thank you for your Best Body Bootcamp, Tina Reale!!!


Sweat Brow - courtesy of Jillian Michaels. 
Yeah, she is good!
I love how you're not expecting that soreness that creeps up on you...the next day
Hello, sore bummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment