Monday, March 18, 2013

Amazing Carnitas


THESE CARNITAS ARE AMAZING!
I promise you, they are going into our "regular rotation" of meals.
This recipe is in the top 5 for dinner meals/recipes I have made.
Seriously.
The husband took one bit of these and said, "Um...Jennifer, these are pretty darn good."
And for him, that means they are delicious. 
Trust me - I've been married to the man for almost 6 years.

I was like, "Yeah, yeah, okay." 
I took one bite...holy smokes
Amazing!
Yeah, I said that already, but they are really and truly tasty (not to mention easy).

What exactly are Carnitas? 
But, according to hubby, "It's like a pork fajita."


I highly recommend serving with some Guacamole (homemade, I beg you) and, Salsa, Sour Cream
Also, add cheese, if desired. 



This Carnita recipe comes from Stephanie O'Dea .....I found the recipe in her cookbook, "More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow," but she also posted the recipe on her blog, Crockpot365.
Click "Crockpot365" for the original recipe. 


*I crossed out the original portions of the recipe that I changed/did differently

The Ingredients:

  1. 2 pounds pork shoulder Bonless Pork Loin Backribs
  2. 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
  3. 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
  4. 7 cloves garlic (whole intact) (minced)
  5. 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
  6. 1 tablespoon cumin
  7. 1/2 cup beef broth
  8. corn tortillas  flour tortillas
  9. sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado Guacamole (optional)

The Directions:
Use a 6 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub mixture all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus, and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork. If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks, then return to the crock and flip to high for about an hour or two.
Shred meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with desired toppings.



Need a homemade "Guac" recipe?
Super simple and darn worth the extra 2 minutes it takes to make. 
There's a BIG different in "bad" guac and tasty guac. (Like abysmal.)

Homemade "Guac"
1 Ripe Avocado, chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped and juice drained
2 Green onions (use about 1/2 of the onion - white part only)
Juice of 1 Lime
Plenty of Salt and Pepper
Cilantro, to taste, if desired

Mix all together. 
Voila!
Yummy, yum!

*****
This is my current read:
Yes, I scored it brand new for a whole dollar. 
So far, it's good. 
Anybody else read and have thoughts?
Please, no spoilers, yet! I'm only about 60 pages in.

Hope you all have a happy, blessed, and peaceful day. 

-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment