Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Paleo Mexican Hash Egg Bake/Sweet Potato & Chorizo Hash

Man, have I been on a Sweet Potato kick lately!
They are sooooo good!

The original name for this recipe per PaleOMG is 
"Mexican Hash Egg Bake." 
However, I seem to like the name 
"Sweet Potato & Chorizo Hash" better. 
I think it sounds more appetizing in my opinion. 
Agree or Disagree? 
I need to know what I should call this spicy yummy. 

I originally planned to make a Sweet Potato and Chorizo soup, but nixed the idea. 
The more I looked at that recipe, the more I didn't want it. 
Time to "change gears."
I searched the internet with the combination "Sweet Potato Chorizo Recipe." 
After looking at several recipes, I decided on this recipe at PaleOMG
(Click the link for the original recipe and a MUCH better picture.)


Here's my version - less Chorizo and more spices!

Serves: 4-5
 
Ingredients
  • 10 oz pork chorizo (I found it at Walmart for, like, a dollar. Seriously.)
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon fat of choice (I used olive oil)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (Lovin' this stuff!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Heat up a large skillet or cast iron skillet under medium heat.
  3. Add your fat, toss in your onions, sweet potatoes and chorizo to begin to cook down.
  4. Use a wooden spoon or whatever you have on hand to break up the chorizo and mix around to incorporate everything. Cover to help steam the sweet potatoes.
  5. Let cook for about 6-8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
  6. Add your tomatoes and spices and mix together.
  7. If you are not using a cast iron skillet, pour your hash into a baking dish.
  8. Use a spoon to press into the hash where you want your eggs to go.
  9. Crack your eggs directly on top of hash.
  10. Bake for 5-8 minutes depending how runny you want your eggs. Just press on the egg yolk with your finger to see how done it is!


Okay, if you are like me a sometimes lack some finesse, your eggs may not come out whole/unbroken as the recipe implies. 
Honestly, 3 out of my 6 eggs were whole - half broken and half not! 
No need to fear, it still tasted yummy!

I also cooked my eggs too long...on purpose. 
The Hubby is not a huge fan of eggs (unless they are deviled....Don't ask me why he only prefers them that way and not any other way). 
So, I intentionally overcooked the eggs so they wouldn't be at all runny (i.e. rubbery). 
*Sigh* 
The things we do for our spouses. 

Next time, I think I'll make about half of the dish with my runny eggs and the other half sans eggs (for the hubby, of course). :) 

Oh, yeah, I served with a loaf of Cheddar Cheese Bread (courtesy of Walmart Bakery)

***
So, what's the recipe verdict?
Yummy!!!
Yep, I would make this again. 
This recipe reminded Aaron and me a lot of the Turkey Chili and Sweet Potato Pie I made a few weeks ago. 
The difference between them is... 
1) the Chorizo Hash is a tad bit spicier , but not too much, just a hint of spicy (Me like-y mucho.)
2) the Chorizo Hash is easier, cheaper, and quicker to make
But...
I think I prefer the taste of the Shepherd's Pie slightly more. 

That being said, the Sweet Potato & Chorizo Hash may make an appearance more often for it's
1) simplicity 2) cost savings and 3) short prep & cook time

P.S. I had a friend "pop over" for dinner and she thought it was tasty, too. 
P.S.S. Sorry, for the not-so-great picture...like I said, friend. at dinner. didn't want to look "weird" snappin' pics of our meal...
I was too busy yappin' instead of snappin', yo. (ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment