Saturday, February 9, 2013

BBQ and Rosemary Chicken Pizza on a Sweet Potato Crust


Lots O' Chicken and Bacon

Chewy, Thick Crust

*Singing* Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got pizza in my tummy...Ooooh! 
(....And, stop.)

Looking for a tasty,different, and non-traditional recipe?
I've got one for you!

 BBQ and Rosemary Chicken Pizza on a Sweet Potato Crust

In the past week or two, I've felt a little bit "uninspired" regarding cooking savory food. 
I had a "great new recipe week" a couple of weeks ago and, lately, just kind of felt "okay" about the recent ones. 
Nothing grabbed my eye that I just "had to make." 
Until now...

I was at work discussing dinner (naturally), and mentioned to a co-worker, "I guess we're having chicken and bacon of some sort tonight..." (b/c it was literally the last meat to cook in the house). 
Then, I said I really wanted pizza and a friend had given me a recipe for a Sweet Potato Crust
The co-worker suggested combing the two and making a BBQ Chicken Bacon Pizza on the Sweet Potato Crust.

Sccccrreeeeeeetch!
Come again?
What a fantastic idea, I say!

So, I came home and whipped this baby up.
But let's be honest, I hadn't prepped for this recipe, so, it did take me a while to cook  
How long? Oh, about 1 1/2 from start to finish-easy peasy, right? (I hope you detect my sarcasm). However, a little prepping the night before and this can be done in less than 45 minutes*. Just saying. 

Although a bit more time consuming than I expected due to my lack of planning, the end result was very yummy.

Check Out Those Toppings!

Step 1:
Make the Sweet Potato Crust <---- Click for recipe 
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups mashed sweet potatoes (~2 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1.5 cups almond flour (I used sprouted spelt flour which is suppose to be about same as measuring for AP flour)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used 5 Cheese Italian blend, but any kind would work)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Your choice of toppings
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
  3. Cover a pizza pan/baking sheet with tinfoil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. (I used tinfoil because my pan had holes in it, and I didn’t want the dough to fall through, but you could probably nix the tinfoil if you’re using a regular baking sheet.)
  4. Using a spatula, spread the dough evenly into a large circle about 1/2 inch thick.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is firm and edges are lightly browned.
  6. While the Crust is baking, cook your chicken and bacon in the oven, as well. (MOVE TO STEP 2)

Step 2:
Cook the Chicken and Bacon
  • About 1/2 to 3/4 lb of chicken breast/tenderloins
  • 4-6 slices of bacon (I used center-cut)
  • Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, and Olive oil (to taste)

  1. Place chicken and bacon on a cookie sheet.
  2. Coat Chicken with salt, pepper, rosemary, and olive oil.
  3. Bake until bacon is crispy and chicken is cooked (No Pink!)
  4. Remove from oven, let cool, and dice into chunks. (MOVE TO STEP 3)

Step 3:
Assemble and Bake the Pizza
  • About 1/2 cup of BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (any kind, but I used yellow)
  • 2 tsp dried cilantro
  • 1 cup of shredded cheese (Again, I used 5 Cheese Italian blend)
  • Cooked Chicken and Cooked Bacon (from above)
  • Pepperocini Peppers, as many as preferred
  1. Remove crust from oven, add toppings, and bake for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
  2. Remove pizza from oven, slice and enjoy!

Um....YUM!

*To save time I suggest:
-Cooking and mashing the sweet potatoes the night before or utulizing the ol' crockpot
-Cooking the chicken and bacon the night before (or using pre-cooked chicken and pre-cooked bacon, although not my first choice).




***
We started the 3rd Phase of the 4 Phase Bootcamp at the beginning of this week. I LOVED workout B and have been running more this phase (5 miles each on Tuesday and Thursday - whoo hoo!)
Now, if I could a better, more determined approach to my diet....(*ahem* bbq pizza *ahem*).
This program rocks!
And guess what?
Enrollment for Best Body Bootcamp 5 starts on February 25th!
The program begins in Early April and you can do the workouts at home (a bit of equipment is generally required).
Click the link and check out her blog...definitely one of the best $25 I've spent.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious!
    Loving BBB too. Can't wait to continue into next session

    ReplyDelete