Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Throw Together" Vegetable Soup *Updated*

*Forgot to add an ingredient to my Veggie Soup Recipe...see recipe below. (Sorry!)

My friends, we are in the middle of "Soup Weather."
I'm sure you are aware, unless, you are one of those lucky dogs who are busy "sunnin' their buns" in balmy Florida (For those of you who reside in balminess, I am jealous.)

This recipe, Vegetable Soup, resulted from a fantastic deal I scored recently on Living Social - an online coupon site tailored to your local area (like Groupon). Living Social introduced me to Farm Box Delivers.

Farm Box Delivers is a company that delivers local (usually) natural and organic food TO YOUR DOORSTEP. Seriously, you don't have to even go out and get it. They bring it to you. Talk about spoiled. 
Anyway, Living Social had a deal for Farm Box Deliver's $34 produce box for $17. AND to top that off, I had a Living Social coupon (from a prior purchase) for $10.
So, yes, if you calculated that in your head, I received a giant box of produce for $7!!!
I received
  • about 10 small Potatoes
  • about 7 Granny Smith & Gala Apples
  • 3 Oranges
  • 3 Pears
  • Small bag of Green Beans
  • Small bag of Mushrooms
  • Head of Cabbage
  • Green Leaf Lettuce
  • 3-4 Roma Tomatoes
  • 2-3 Small heads of Broccoli
  • Bag of Carrots
  • 1 Zucchini
...and I think that about covers it. Again, $7.

Yeah, it's okay to be a tiny bit jealous.  *wink*

So, what did I do?
I made a pot of good ol' Vegetable Soup.------------------>
Yum.


***

There is really no "wrong" way to make vegetable soup-just throw together the vegetables you like!

Here's what I "Threw Together:"

  •  1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Large Onion, chopped
  • 2 Carrots, sliced
  • 1 (14.5) oz can of Diced Tomatoes
  • 1  (32) oz can of Chicken Broth, low-sodium
  • 1 cup Fresh Green Beans, chopped (and ends removed if fresh)
  • 1 Zucchini, quartered and chopped
  •  1/4 Head of Cabbage, shredded (previously forgot to add that!)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) Northern Beans, rinsed 
  • Additional Water, if desired, to make mixture less chunky.
      Seasonings: (Use what you like, but here's mine.)
  • 1 tsp Garlic, Minced
  • 1 tsp dried Basil
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1 1/2 tsp Au Jus/Beef Base (Like Beef Bullion, but waaaaaay better)
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
Directions:
1) Heat oil in Dutch Oven on stove-top. Saute Onion and Carrot until softened and translucent. 
2) Stir in Seasonings (garlic, basil, etc). Cook for 1 minute.
3) Add in Tomatoes, Broth, and remaining Veggies.
4) Bring to a boil and simmer low to medium for at least 20-30 minutes (or until vegetables reach their desired "doneness").
5) Serve and enjoy!

'Twas my dinner with a half Almond Butter Sandwich on Wheat. 
Deeeelicious!



Now, I have extras for lunch and such.
Also, this is helping me meet my goal for Best Body Bootcamp of a minimum of 3 servings of vegetables a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment