Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pesto Turkey and Sweet Potatoes Layered Dinner - Crockpot Dinner!

 Howdy, y'all!

I'm still busy trying out some NEW recipes from the cookbook "More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow." 
Tonight's Menu:
Pesto Chicken Turkey and Sweet Potatoes Layered Dinner
I purchased a couple of Turkey Tenderloins from Sam's Club this past weekend and thought I'd try the ol' switcher-roo.
 
As I was making the pesto, I could tell, this was going to be good. 
I opted to add Parmesan and basically omit the Mozerella in the original recipe.. 
This recipe is "Husband Approved" (Trust me, those are high standards in this household). 

I thought this was easy to assemble and it took me a whole 10 minutes to put together?
I also liked that while the Sweet Potatoes cook in the same crockpot as the protein, it remains separate by the foil. See what I mean:

Ingredients: 
Pesto
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbs Lemon or Lime Juice (I used lemon)
4 garlic cloves (I used jarred, minced)
2 cups of fresh basil (I used 1 1/2 tsp dried basil...I WISH i had had fresh. :( )
2 Tbs pine nuts, walnuts, or sunflower seeds (I used walnuts)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt

4 chicken thighs or breast halves (I used 2 lb turkey tenderloin)
Sliced Mozzarella cheese, as much as desired
aluminum foil or parchment paper
4 small sweet potatoes, washed well, skin on

Directions:
  • In a food processor/blender (I have one of the tiny $10 ones from walmart), combine the ingrediens for the pesto. When liquidy. Taste. Add more citrus or salt and pepper, if desired.
  • Arrange chicken/turkey at bottom of slow cooker. Layer on mozzarella cheese. Pour the pesto evenly over the protein.
  • Place aluminum foil loosely over pesto covered chicken/turkey. 
  • Scrub sweet potatoes, prick with a fork, and place on top of aluminum foil. 
  • Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
 *********

Today was a "rest day" from Tina's Best Body Bootcamp. 
Whew! Am I sore!
I am loving this workout plan! 
It is challenging me in a way I LOVE. 
Plus, I naturally tend to opt for cardio over strength and because of BBB, I am doing more strength training. YAY!!!

Tomorrow's workout = Interval Cardio.
I swear I am already improving on my running. 

Week 2 is half-way over....we'll be getting a new round of workouts for the next 2 week period.
Whoa, Nelly...
Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment