Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Fabulous Wet Burritos"


I have another good one for ya....
Fabulous Wet Burritos

The recipe is YUMMY!
It seems like forever ago I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com, and have finally decided to make it. 
It's like the extreme version of an enchilada...it's an enchilada to the MAX!
The "MAX" is acheived by combining ingredients such as beef, refried beans, green chilies, enchilada sauce, and chili!
I know, you're thinking...that sounds like a lot going on, but, honestly, it works together wonderfully.
I wouldn't say these are "traditional" wet burritos, but I like them! I think I may have found my beef "go-to" enchilada/burrito recipe. 


Fabulous Wet Burritos
Recipe Link Here!

Makes about 6 very filling Wet Burritos

Ingredients:

Filling-
1 pound ground beef 
1/2 cup chopped onion  
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

1 (4.5 oz) can of diced green chilies
1 (16 oz) can of refried beans

"Wet" Sauce-
1 (15 oz) can of chili with no beans
1 (10.75 oz) can of condensed tomato soup
1 (10 oz) can of enchilada sauce

Toppings (these are optional)- 
2 cups of shredded lettuce
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
2 cups of Mexican shredded cheese
1/2 cup of chopped green onion

6 (12") tortillas

Directions

  1. Crumble ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Drain grease, and season with garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in the green chilies and refried beans until well blended. Turn off heat, but keep warm.
  2. In a saucepan, combine the chili without beans, tomato soup and enchilada sauce. Mix well, and cook over medium heat until heated through. Turn off heat and keep warm.
  3. Place a warmed tortilla on a plate, and spoon a generous 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto the center. Top with lettuce and tomato to your liking. Roll up tortilla over the filling. Spoon a generous amount of the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas 

My "spin" on the recipe:
  • I used fat free refried beans
  • I used turkey chili w/o beans
  • I varied my toppings: I used a Velveeta Queso shredded cheese (and a lot less than 2 cups) and used only lettuce and sour cream
  • Oh, and, not by choice, I made my own Enchilada Sauce (something about not including it on my Grocery List and not realizing that I didn't have until I was starting to cook. Go figure. Here's the Homemade Enchilada Recipe I used. It's a lot thicker (like a gravy) than canned enchilada sauce.
Ingredients:
    • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
    • 2 tbsp flour
    • 2 tbsp chili powder
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
    • 2 cups water
    • 1 8 ounce can tomato paste
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1/2 tsp onion powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
Preparation:
  1. Heat the oil, flour and chili powder together in a large pot. Allow to cook for a minute or two.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Stir well to combine and dissolve tomato paste in water. Allow to cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more spices as desired (which I totally did).
You should decide to make these. 
Definitely.



No comments:

Post a Comment