Sunday, January 6, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Chili


This is very similar to "traditional" chili -  but with a TWIST
(albeit, a "safe/non-weird" twist).
This was great!
Hubby loved it. 
I loved it. 
Definitely a keeper. 

I purchased the cookbook "More Make it Fast, Cook It Slow."
It's costs me a whole whopping $6.
Love a good deal.
 I am kind of picky with cookbooks, because, so often I look through them a think, "Would I actually make this stuff?"
With this book, the answer is, considering the majority, "Yes."
First recipe from this book=SUCCESS!
And to be honest, the rest sound awesome. 
I recommend. 

Here's the Chicken Enchilada Chili Recipe (as written)



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared Enchilada Sauce (I used Red Sauce)
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans of Tomatoes with Seasoning (I used 1 Garlic & Onion and 1 Spicy Red Pepper)
  • 2 (15 oz) cans of pinto or kideny beans with juice (or 1 cup dry pinto beans, soaked overnight)
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 onion diced, or 1 Tbs dried onion flakes (I have an onion-hating hubby, so, I used onion powder)
  • 1-2 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 lbs chicken
  • shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving (optional)
***I added 8 oz chopped green chilies and MORE seasoning of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic (to taste) - we like LOTS of flavor. 

Directions:
  1. Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour enchilada sauce & tomatoes in bottom of stoneware insert.
  2. Add beans, celery, onion, and spices. Stir to combine.
  3. Place chicken on top (whole, I shredded the chicken after it was completely cooked)
  4. Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low (I did 6 hours). 
  5. Top with cheese and sour cream if desired. 
* If you are using dry beans it may take the whole 8 hours.
* If you chicken has bones, fish the bones out after cooking and before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment