Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Basic Chicken Broccoli Casserole with a Twist


I have one of those "classic" recipe that I am sure just about everyone has made---
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
You know, the ones with the "cream of..." cans.
 Except this one has a twist-no rice, but...
QUINOA!

In my whole 1 time of cooking quinoa (which, I believe, now earns me some "street cred"-ha!), I found that quinoa seems a lot like rice.
To me, similar flavor and cooks about the same way (if not easier). 
So, I just subbed it for the rice in a casserole.
SUCCESS!
It worked perfectly. 

Here's a refresh of the "basic" recipe:

1 lbs chicken breasts
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
10 oz broccoli, frozen
1 can of cream of broccoli and cheese soup (i.e. Campbell's or Great Value)
1 cup water
Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, and Lemon Juice

1) Combine all except chicken. Mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish (an 8x8 should work). 
2) Coat Chicken in additional seasonings. Place on top of quinoa mixture.
3) Bake covered at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
4) Before serving, sprinkle fresh lemon juice over casserole, if desired. (Helps cut through the "cream of..." Casserole-i-ness...aka adds much needed citrus!).


No comments:

Post a Comment