Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo


Hey, all!
This Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo recipe was past along to me from a friend who found it on the blog, How Sweet It Is.  
I had been periodically looking for some sort of Pumpkin-Pasta dish since we at at Bonefish Grill a few months ago. Their special of the evening was Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage and Browned Butter Sauce.
I was almost "game," but the fear of ravioli swimming in a browned butter sauce, while delicious, had me fearing a very high caloric intake.
 So, when my friend mentioned she made Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo, I said, "Recipe, please!"
She passed this baby along my way.

To be honest, while I had been searching for a Pumpkin-Pasta recipe, I was kind of scared. I mean, I had never had pumpkin and pasta together. 
Part of it intrigued me and the other part of it scared me a bit. 
I was afraid it would be too odd, even for me. 
The result?
I actually really, truly liked it - a lot. 
If you love pumpkin? This Baked Pumpkin Fettuccini Alfredo recipe is for you.       
 
As a positive - the pumpkin replaces some of the fat often associated with Alfredo sauces. 
It tastes so warm and yummy.
The sage, cheese, salt and pepper balances out this dish, so, that it isn't too "sweet" for dinner. 
Of course, as I do most of the time, I increased ALL spices. :)
Pleasantly surprised. 
I like pleasant surprises, don't you?

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo
YIELD: SERVES 4-6

PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES

COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES

TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
ingredients:
1 pound whole wheat/whole grain fettuccine (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used light butter)
2 tablespoons flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups low-fat milk (I used Skim)
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (Subbed 1 1/2 Tbs Cream Cheese & 1/2 Tbs Sour Cream)
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1 tablespoons freshly chopped sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon
 pumpkin pie spice
freshly grated fontina cheese for topping (I omitted)
fine breadcrumbs for sprinkling (I omitted)
fried sage
10-15 fresh sage leaves
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off of cooking time. I cooked my fettuccine for 6 minutes.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour and stir to create a roux, until bubbly and golden, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in milk, stirring constantly and increasing heat a little bit until it begins to bubble and thicken, about 5-6 minutes. Add in mascarpone, parmesan, pumpkin, sage, salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice, mixing well until smooth and combined and thickened into a sauce.
Spray a baking dish (mine was 7x11) with nonstick spray and add pasta to the dish. Pour sauce over top and toss well with kitchen tongs to coat. Add some grated fontina on top and a sprinkling of bread crumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly and slightly golden.
While pasta is baking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add sage leaves 4-5 at a time and fry for about 30 seconds. Remove and place on a paper towel.
Serve pasta immediately and top with sage leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment