Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole


Oh, the Sweet Potato. 
I personally prefer it rather than the White Potato (well, generally, but you almost can't beat a salty skinned russet potato from a steakhouse. Can I get a HOO-RAH?)
I am also a bit of a purest when it comes to sweet potatoes. 
When I bake them at home, I only add minimal toppings (like just cinnamon). 
Well, we had a Thanksgiving lunch at work, so, since I LOVE sweet potatoes, I made a Sweet Potato Casserole. 

I found a recipe on www.myrecipes.com and tweeked it a bit. 
I roughly followed it to get my desired result. :)
This recipe is not one of those, half a stick of butter, a whole bag of marshmallows, kind of like dessert sweet potato casseroles---
Sorry, they aren't my preference. 
This is more like a "Wow, I really like the actual Sweet Potato in Sweet Potato Casserole" recipe. 
Yes, there is "stuff" added in, but the Sweet Potato really shines

Here's the original recipe---->HERE

Here's my recipe:

  • 2 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (ADDED, to offset the Black Pepper) 
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray
Topping: 
  • 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows
  • 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/3 cup chopped Walnuts
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar 

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly; peel and mash in a large bowl.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
4. Stir hmilk and the next 9 ingredients (through egg) into sweet potatoes. Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the topping; Bake at 350 degrees for  20 minutes

Delicious and a bit *healthier* option than other Sweet Potato Casserole for your Turkey Day Dinner.

*Note*
Next time, I will either cut down on the black peppers or leave it out. I could taste it a tiny bit and wasn't stoked. It's up to you.

Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment