Friday, October 26, 2012

Lentil Chili


 I have been wanting to try a new chili recipe for a little bit. My current "go-to" chili recipe is pretty basic. So, I wanted to try something new.
I can't remember how  I exactly found this recipe, but I do know I was surfing the 'net and found another winner on www.food.com. Click HERE for the recipe link.  
To be honest, I wondered how this Lentil Chili would turn out.
I like Lentils, but have struggled to find the *perfect* way to cook them.
Plus, would Lentil actually resemble "real" chili?

I really liked this!
Plus, it is 100% good for you.
Have you checked out the nutrition of lentils???
Amazing.
They have tons of protein and fiber, no fat, and are very filling.
Like, I don't even miss meat when I eat this. 


And, YES, I actually followed the recipe.
I just added more of all the spices for our personal preferences. :)

Ingredients:
1 lb dry lentils
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (I used 1 14.5 oz can of Fire-Roasted Tomatoes + extra water)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup cold water
Cooking in My Dutch Oven

Directions:   
Boil water.
Add salt and lentils.
Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes. 
Do not drain.
Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion, celery, garlic and cold water.
Cover and continue to cook over low heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Turn off heat, taste for seasoning.
I add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Top with shredded cheese, chopped onion and a dollop of sour cream or whatever you usually put on your favorite chili!
 
YUM!
I will make this again. 
Definitely.
Yup, Definitely. 
 
 

Disclaimer: If you are not use to eating lentils, go a bit "easy"...they have A LOT of of fiber. (But are delicious!)


No comments:

Post a Comment