Sunday, June 17, 2012

Finally....Waffles {Protein-Style}




Yummmmm...Waffles!
Does anybody else think of Donkey from Shrek saying, "I'm making waffles!"
Maybe it's just me. 

Found this new-to-me recipe for protein waffles on the web, courtesy of Cara's Cravings blog. 
I haven't had waffles in FOREVER! 
(Or, so, it seems). 
I tend to shy away from waffles and pancakes, because, they just don't seem to keep me full. Something about white flour and sugar just makes me hungry with in an hour or two. And usually, if I go hungry too long, I get angry. 
Hungry + Angry = Hangry 
A good description of me w/o food, sadly.
I need something more substantial, like, protein? 
Yup. Protein.



Plus, I bought a cheap-y waffle maker, like, months ago and still hadn't used it. Grr.
Today was a new day.
I got my "butt in gear" and finally made those darn waffles, with protein, of course.


The result? 
These were darn tasty! 
I halved the recipe (due to low supply of ingredients). 
I had to use Chocolate protein powder rather than the vanilla or cake batter flavor the recipe asks for, but this was still delicious. 
Oh, and I only had 1 lone egg in the house, so, I used 1 whole egg rather than just 2 eggs whites.
So, let's just say this recipe is forgiving? Or just awesome that one could use different flavors of protein
Oh, the possibilities.


Another great part? I am about 95% sure one could make a batch and freeze for later toaster re-heating. Yep. Plan to do that.
The ONLY drawback? The Waffles were a bit flat. However, taht could be me, b/c I may or may not have exactly measured the baking powder. Tee hee. Used the ol' "eyeball" trick.


FInally, I can have my waffles now (and not be starvin' like a marvin later).


Protein Waffles
Makes four 4″ square waffles

4 egg whites, or 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese (I promise, you do NOT taste the cottage cheese.)
1/2 cup plain instant oats
1 scoop vanilla or cake batter flavored protein powder
2 packets of Sweetener
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1) Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
2) Cook in waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions, to desired crispiness.


Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 102.0
Total Fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 10.0 mg
Sodium: 194.6 mg
Total Carbs: 9.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
Protein: 14.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment