Sunday, April 22, 2012

7-Layer Meditteranean Dip


*NEW RECIPE TEST*
 7-Layer Meditteranean Dip
Coursey of Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups hummus (I used Red Pepper Hummus)
1 cup tzatziki (I made my own-equal parts plain greek yogurt and lowfat sour cream, added dry dill, garlic, pepper, and lots of salt to taste. Let set in fridge overnight. Delicious!)
1 cup tomato (diced and mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon oregano)
1/2 cup cucumber (cut into small pieces)
1/4 cup red onions (diced)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
(For the Feta & Olives, I went to Kroger and purchases from their olive bar (by the deli)-No pits!)
1 handful mint (chopped)
4 whole wheat pitas (cut into triangles and toasted until just crispy) (Yeah. I just purchased the already baked pita chips.)

Directions:
1. Assemble dip starting with the hummus and stacking each ingredient on top of the last.


 Opa!
I made this "new" recipe for a work lunch. In concept, this is similar to a 7-layer Mexican dip, but Mediterranean style!

Verdict: Good, but personally, I prefer the Mexican layer dip. This was good. Give it maybe 3.5 or 4 stars. I probably won't rush to the store to make more, but I liked it. Solid, average dish. Depends on your preferences.

*Helpful Hint*
I made my dip the night before and let it set in the refrigerator. BUT, I recommend making this right before serving OR waiting to top with the veggies until right before serving. The liquid from the veggies made my tzatziki watery *sad face.* Dish still taste good, but not as pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment