Friday, March 23, 2012

"Brinner" 2x!


Say hello to... 
BRINNER!!!
Breakfast fot DINNER
 Not uno, but dos.
(Practic-o mi espanol, si?)

Since I've been on my own for dinner this week, it's been kind of a "mixed bag."
Whatever I feel like!
Whatever is easy!
Whatever I have in the "stash."
Well, turns out my "stash" consists of pretty much no "dinner" food.
Thus, brinner. 
This week, I have had seafood 3x, chicken 2x, eggs 2x, oatmeal 3x, salads 2x, and lean pockets 2x (plus snackies-LOVE my snackies.). 
See a pattern?
Healthy.
Cheap.
Basic.
Easy.
No red meat.
No "dinner." 
(w/ the exception of 1 night of oh-so-delicious take out).
Been a bit out of the norm w/o my meat-eater hubby.

#1
Wednesday consisted of peach oats
Peach Oats have really "hit the spot" lately.  
 One of those things you make and you're like "Dang, making that again!"
So, I did. 
The next day.
Oh, yum.

#2
Thursday
I had totally scored some asparagus on sale for $1.99!
Whoohoo!
I usually don't by asparagus unless it is less then $3/lb. 
I mean, really! Any more than that is just too much!
What to do, what to do...
 For some reason, I keep thinking of Harrison Ford in the movie Morning Glory with Rachel McAdams. In the movie, Ford makes McAdams his famous frittata. (He only makes frittatas for people he likes.) 
Random, yes. 
Plus, frittata is waaaaay better than quiche. 
I'm not a big fan of quiche.
Quiche=pie crust=me no likey
So, made an Asparagus Frittata
Sounds fancy, huh?
Super easy, healthy, and fast!
Mine ended up having more asparagus than egg, and needed milk, but still yum!

Peach Oats:
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup finely diced peaches
3 Tbs lowfat cottage cheese
1 packet sweetener (mine is splenda)
cinnamon, optional
1/4 tsp baking powder

  • Combine all ingredients in a greased, small dish. Bake for 20 minutes on 350 degrees. (I swear you do not notice the cottage cheese-the texture blends with the oats.)
Asparagus Fritatta
1/2 bunch of asparagus, ends snapped off
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
Additional veggies: I used mushrooms and topped w/ a tomato
Salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, thyme, and onion powder, to taste.
 
  • Steam asparagus until bright green and tender. (dark green=overcooked!)
  •  Whisk eggs and seasoning in a cup.
  • Combine all ingredients in a non-sticket skillet.
  • Bake in over on 350 until set (about 10 minutes)
 
The "Zoom-In"

No comments:

Post a Comment