Saturday, February 11, 2012

Red Velvet Va-Va Voom!



Nuh-uh you didn't.
Oh. Yes. I. Did. 
I made a Red Velvet Cheese Ball.
Gorgeous, ain't it?

This was a recipe I have been drooling over considering making for about 1 week, 3 days, and 10 hours. 
(I may or may not have been counting down the time.)
I seen this recipe about the same time I seen the Nutella Cheesecake Gooey Bars (previously posted), but since February 5th was National Nutella Day, I decided to make those first. That didn't stop me from frequently visiting the creator's site, http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/, to drool.
I knew the day would come soon for me to make.
Very soon.
How soon?
 I went to the store within 2 days and made sure I had all the ingredients.

Well, wouldn't you know, we had a birthday lunch at work today!
What a "co-inky-dink."

I made this recipe as directed (the night before), except I added more powdered sugar than originally required and a touch of milk (like only 1 Tbs). I tasted as I went and found I needed more sugar, baby!
I will add, the chocolate chips help make this dish. I think this recipe would definitely not be the same without them.

Pros: Gorgeous, tasty, easy, different, and can be made ahead of time.
Cons: Messy - aka NOT a project to be done with kids.
Red Velvet Batter=Red Velvet Mess
(But also = Red Velvet "Yum.")

As you can see, the "pros" totally outweight the single, lone "con."

The ingredients are simple:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups red velvet cake mix
  • 1-1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs milk
  • 1 pkg semisweet chocolate chips
The directions are easy:
1) Beat room temperature cream cheese and butter in a mixer.
2) Add in powdered sugar, brown sugar, cake mix, and milk
3) Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
4) Unwrap ball. For ease, press chocolate chips on top and sides of ball. Then, place/sprinkly chocolate chips on a plate, and place the ball on the choclate chips (coats the bottom of the ball). Fill in empty spot as necessary with chocolate chips.
5) Refrigerate until serving.
6) Enjoy!

I served mine with vanilla wafers and graham crackers. BUT, I think ChOcOlAtE graham crackers would be amazing!!!
This was very, very good.
Oh, what other flavors lie ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment