Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feelin' Greeky

Feelin' "Greeky," not geek-y. Geez. Cut me some slack, will ya? *wink*
Tonight's dinner consisted of Greek Chicken and Couscous, aka GCC.
I had seen a recipe a few weeks ago on www.theskinnyskillet.com, called Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken.
I've been wanting to make it for a while.
However, I added some of my own stuff to it (you know I can't bring myself to follow a recipe on most days that end in "y"). I used the original recipe as a starting point for my recipe.
The original recipe called for sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, spinach, and chicken.
Well, I ate all the spinach (yum) and wanted more spices for flavoring. (I LOVE fresh spinach, makes me want some now just thinking about it).

My way (almost the same as the original):
Plain Artichokes, 1/2 can, chopped
3 Tbs Feta cheese, crumbled
4 Sun-dried Tomatoes
3 Tbs black olives, diced
2 Chicken breasts, pounded thin
Greek salad dressing
Salt & Pepper

1) Pound chicken thin-helps to place chicken in plastic wrap, then "beat the tar" out of it. *ahem* I mean pound it evenly.
2) Add the remaining ingredients, except the Greek salad dressing, evenly between the two chicken breasts.
3) Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Top with dressing and more salt and pepper.
4) Brown in a hot skillet. Transfer to warm oven. Bake until juiced run clear.

I served this with couscous and tzatziki sauce. My couscous was basically instant whole wheat couscous with all the flavors/ingredients above plus garlic and lemon pepper (out of fresh lemon juice, *sad*).
My tzatziki was thrown together last minute - Greek yogurt, sour cream, peeled & diced cucumber, dried oregano, garlic powder, lemon pepper, salt, and pepper.
*Helpful Hint-Tzatziki really benefits when allowed to set for a couple hours in the refrigerator.

The result?
It was something different. Good, not awesome. Hubby is not a fan of the sun-dried tomatoes. Reasoning being? He doesn't like "sweet with meat." I thought they were good-but I like sweeter stuff!
Note: These were not Sweet in themselves, just a sweet undertone. Not as a sweet as fruit, but think of a caramelized tomato or carrot.

Would I make again?
Probably-w/o the sun-dried tomatoes, with spinach and maybe some cream cheese. Maybe marinate the chicken, too. Bottom line? Good, but, want to tweak to our preferences.

I like that this was a change up from our normal fare.
Inside Shot of the Bird! 

No comments:

Post a Comment