Friday, February 10, 2012

Chicken Mole [and a Couple Other Yummies]

Mole! Mole! Mole! Moooole!
(Think of the Austin Powers 3 movie. Got it? Good.)

Chicken Mole. I have been "eyeing" this recipe in the South Beach Diet Supercharged Cookbook for a minute. 
Or two. 
Okay, seriously "eyeing" for about two weeks. 
Finally did it.

Now, I have never tasted chicken mole, a popular mexican dish, at all. 
Ever.
But, it is something I have heard of and seen jarred in grocery stores.
On one side, it seems the dish could be made unhealthily. 
And, I am not sure I'd want to order it out at a restaurant, since I didn't know how it might even taste. 
So, what'd I do? 
I made it myself, by golly.

First oddity: It has cocoa or chocolate in it.
Hmmm.
Second oddity: It has peanut butter in it.
Double Hmmm.
Third oddity: it has Da-gone chili powder AND garlic in it, too
Say wha?
I know
I just had to do it.

The result?
The meal was middle of the road/just okay for me. 
Hubby said it was "better than just okay." (His code for pretty good).
Would I make it again.
Maybe. Probably. Yes, if asked.
I wouldn't be averse to making it again. That's for sure.
I do think it would benefit from the good ol' crock pot. Stewing and melding all those flavors together.
I served this with re-fried beans and corn, then topped this chicken with a little sour cream.
Darn, I love Mexican food. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients


    2 1/2 lbs of chicken breast tenderloins 1 large onion chopped 1 large bell pepper chopped 2 cloves of garlic, minced 2 T chili powder 1/2 t ground cinnamon 1/2 t ground cloves 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes 2 T peanut butter 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder 2 scallions, chopped

Directions

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat skillet with olive oil until browned on both sides. Remove chicken to a large plate.

Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in the chili powder, cinnamon, and cloves and cook for 1 minute. Return chicken to the skillet. Add the tomatoes (with juice), peanut butter, and cocoa powder and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring every few minutes, for 25 minutes. Turn the chicken once or until the chicken is no longer pink. Garnish with scallions.

makes 4 servings.


Here's a couple other dinners this week:

BBQ Salmon w/ Sweet Potato Fries & Broccoli

Ham & Beans (primarily Pinto) w/ Cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment