Sunday, January 8, 2012

S.P.x2 & Brownies

Yep. Check it out. Salmon Patties and Sweet Potatoes (okay, so a can of collards greens is thrown in there, too). (S.P. & S.P...get it? *wink*)
I have been planningon/thinking about/almost making salmon patties for like a month. Well, I finally did it. I've the can of salmon for, let's just say, a few months. Just hanging out. When I would dig through my canned food stash, it'd be like, "Hey! mReember me? Good ol' salmon. I have a lot of Omega-3's...wait...don't go..." Okay. That may be a wee bit extreme (you think?). But you get the point.
I will add, the salmon was hanging out with the "about to go bad" sweet potatoes. Gotta do something about that. Shant waste a sweet potato!

Part Un: Salmon Patties, wee?
As for the salmon patties, I tried a different way of making them. I haven't made "S.P's" in a couple of years. Dunno way. Just haven't. Typically, I have baked them. Which left me with patties that feel a part and pale (no brown crust goodness). I didn't want to cook them the "in-law" way (while DELICIOUS, is not great for the arteries) and I wanted to add my yummy crust. Totally just said "What the Hey!" and tried a completely new recipe (plus, kind of couldn't remember the old one :)).

The result? Defintely was able to get a better sear ot the patty. Defintely the patties held together better. As a personal preference, I think I just need to revert back to the old recipe seasoning profile...the one with Old Bay seasoning. Don't get me wrong, these were good. and tasty - Old Bay is just better! (In our opinion.)

Part Deux: Sweet Potatoes (Another "S.P"...coincidence? or not?)
Wanted to try a slightly different way of making sweet potatoes. Primarly b/c I hate the time it takes to bake a sweet potato. I'm impatient. I know this. The first step is acknowledging, right?
These were simple, but oh. so. good. I think I can eat my weight in sweet potatoes. har har. But I did learn a couple things...
1)PEEL your sweet potatoes before cooking. The skin is more durable/thicker than white potatoes (usually I leave the skin on white potatoes for the texture & health benefits). Trust me on this one.
2) You do not need as much liquid as white potatoes. (And sweet potatoes need no salt! A MAJOR difference from white potatoes.) My texture was a bit looser than I desired.
End result? Yep. Would TOTALLY make these again. Just peel 'em first!

Salmon Patties
  •  one (14.75 oz) can of salmon, drained, bones & skin removed
  • one "fresh stack" Ritz (about 20 crackers), crushed
  • 2 eggs
  • parsely, to taste
  • red papper flakes, to taste
  • salt & pepper to taste
1) Combine all. Form into patties.
2) Preheat Skillet on med-high heat. Add 1/2 Tbs of Olive oil. Cook on both sides until browned (about 3 minutes each). Voila! Easy-peasy!

Sweet Potatoes
  • 1 1/2 lbs of sweet potatoes, cubed and peeled
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 Tbs butter (I used light butter)
  • 3 Tbs maple syrup (I used sugar-free)
  • 4 Tbs brown sugar (splenda or regular)
  • cinnamon, to taste
1) Boil sweet potatoes until tender. Drain
2) Add remaining ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer. Voila! Double easy-peasy!

My Cooking Station

 
Salmon Patties

Brownies were made earlier in the day....I really love brownies! One of my favorite deserts. Totally used the box!



Oh. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment