Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mexican Layered Casserole (AKA Mexican Biscuit Pot Pie)

You know when you see a recipe you think sounds good, but, then there is one ingredient thrown in the mix that makes you go, "Huh? Shall I dare to try?" 
The thing that makes you want to try it just because it is odd?
Yep. This is kind of that recipe. 
Only, the odd ingredient, BiScUiTs, isn't odd in itself, its just odd in a MEXICAN dish. 
Biscuit and Mexican. They just scream of a marriage made in heaven. 
I know, shouldn't it be cornbread, chips, or something?
The other side of me thought...It's biscuits. It can't be bad.
And the verdict is...
DELICIOUS! I WILL make this again.
Yes, at first the biscuits were different. Not bad, just unexpected. But very yummy. 
Friggin' Awesome as leftovers. 
Seriously. 

Next time, I am going to make this with tortilla chips or fritos in place of the biscuits to try it out and give it more of a "mexican feel."
The filling is what makes
 the dish. 
But, then again, I love Mexican!

Plus, got this from one of those good ol' church cookbooks. Aren't those the best?
Love 'em.



1)  1 lb ground beef (I used 93% lean)
2) 1 can Rotel (spicy is best!)
3) 1/2 jar salsa
4) 1 can corn, drained
5) 1 pkg dry taco seasoning
6) 2 small cans biscuits (I used the cheap ones!)
7) Shredded Cheese ( I used pepper jack and cheddar)
8) Sour cream, optional

Step 1: Brown ground beef. Drain if necessary. 
Step 2: Add in rotel, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning,
Step 3: Line a greased casserole dish with biscuit.
Step 4: Pour 3/4 filling over biscuits, top with cheese, then add the remaining 1/4 of filling
Step 5: Top with biscuits
Step 6: Cover and cook about 30 minutes on 375 degrees. 
Step 7: Top with sour cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment