Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lemon Chicken Piccata - An Attempt to be Fancy-ish

Idea: Me. Chef Hat. Cooking with my Fancy white wine, adding capers, wisking my sauce to completion as I seemlessly saunter around my cooking station....

Reality: Me, in PJ's, with an icky cold & feeling like doo-doo, using my whole $8.00/bottle wine, not-so-gracefully following step-by-step cooking instruction hoping to goodness this recipe is as great as I had hoped, with hubby in the background peering over my shoulder in anticipation.

Well, like I said this recipe was my attempt  to be fancy. Probably my reality is the same as many. I like the term, "Real-Life Cook." Can I get a what what?

I eyed this recipe in Granny's "Cuisine At Home" recipe booklet. Lemon Chicken Piccata, eh? Always wanted to try it. Totally had purchased some wine to cook with. Oh, what the hay. Let's give it a go.

The "go" went. The verdict of my fancy-smance meal? Just so, so. Not bad, but not Uber-great. Little bland for us-'course we like lots of flavor. This would be a recipe for the "safe" (i.e. boring) eater. So, if you ever have one of those guests over. Maybe you should make this *wink wink*.

Here's the Recipe:




Chicken PiccataSource:  Cuisine at Home, complimentary issue
ingredients:2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded into cutlets
salt and black pepper
all-purpose flour
nonstick spray
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. drained capers
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
fresh lemon slices
chopped fresh parsley
instructions:1.  Season cutlets with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.  Coat a saute pan with nonstick spray, add oil, and heat over medium-high.
2.  Saute cutlets 2-3 minutes on one side.  Flip cutlets over and saute the other side, covered, 1-2 minutes.  Transfer cutlets to a warmed platter; pour off fat from the pan.
3.  Deglaze pan with wine and add minced garlic.  Cook until garlic is slightly brown and liquid is nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
4.  Add broth, lemon juice, and capers.  Return cutlets to pan and cook on each side for 1 minute.  Transfer cutlets to warm plates.
5.  Finish sauce with butter and lemons.  Once butter melts, pour sauce over cutlets.
6.  Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately.

Makes:  2 servings

Nutritional Information:  calories 449, fat 28g (10g. saturated), protein 41, carbohydrates 3, fiber 0g, cholesterol 129mg, sodium 259mg

P.S. Totally apologize for the crummy pics. My camera was stolen a few months ago. Maybe Santa will bring me a better one?

No comments:

Post a Comment