Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In-Law Broccoli Salad

       
Yep. It's official, I have now been deemed worthy to make my in-laws broccoli salad. Oh, I am so humbled! *Wink*
No, really, this is a recipe that my mother-in-law makes (most of the time - sometimes the dear ol' auntie-in-law makes it, too). I have always enjoyed her broccoli salad, but have never made it myself. Well, now, I am trained. Watch out, y'all!!!

The skillful learnings began this o`ver this past "mega-cake" *ahem* I mean, "mega-party" weekend.
S I D E   N O T E: But to me, now, and to those I hold dear to my heart, Party=Cake (or does Cake=Party? Hmmm...to ponder....).
Well, back to the story. As most parties go, we were in a time crunch. The host was super busy, my mom-in law (maker of the broccoli salad) was enduring a long drive from the upper states to attend the par-tay, AND we were awaiting the arrival of the necessary ingredient-broccoli.  In addition, we also weren't quite sure this dish would be made in time. Well, solution! The mummy-in-law suggested I prep the dressing while we wait for the broccoli. "Well," I paused, "I have never made that before!" She assured me no worries...she would talk me through it.

I did have the help of a couple of taste-testers. I didn't exactly measure....just tasted as I went. It was a success! Even got a compliment. Yipee!!! I will DEFINITELY make this again. Especially since it's an "in-law" recipe. 

Broccoli Salad 
Ingredients (Guesstimate):
2/3 Cup Miracle Whip
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/8 Cup White Sugar
1/4 Diced Red Onion
1/2 Cup Chewy Bacon Bits (i.e. Hormel)
1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Crumbles
2 Heads of Broccoli Florets (aka: No Stems!)

1) Mix first 3 ingredients together
2) Add in Red Onion. Sire
3) Add in Bacon Bits. Stir
4) Set in refridgerator until ready to serve.
5) Right before serving, stir in cheese. Yum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment