Monday, May 23, 2011

Crock-Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches

Well, I have heard of Italian Beef in the crock-pot, but had never yet tried it. Probably due to my feelings toward beef-I am not "in love" with beef, but I like it just okay. I totally favor chicken and fish more. Howver, one of the ladies at work mentioned she had made it the other night and that it is just tasty AND easy. Tasty AND easy? Sweeeet!

The crockpot is a major time-savor with the added bonus of me NOT having to really make the dinner once I get home and wait on it. Just so easy-peasy!

Well, the giver of the recipe, said she uses onion dry soup mix, beef roast, and pepperocinis in a crock pot. Then, cooks for 6-7 hours on low and serve as sandwiches. Really, super easy. Of course, I complicated things, and thought I it was suppose to be Itialian dry soup mix...which I didn't have....so, I stubbornly made my own. *sigh* You know me, always doing things the hard way...

Yes, probably would have been quicker and easier if I had just drove to dang wal-mart and bought the Italian Soup Mix, but, in my defense, I know have a super-duper seasoning blend consisting of spices I generally already carry in my cabinet. Plus, all of the knowledge I have gained. Knowledge = Power! Okay, cheesy, I know.

But this turned out sooooo good. Makes me reconsider my indifference toward beef...almost...not quite. Nah, I still like chicken and fish better, but this IS GOOD! I will definitely make this again.

I have to give some major credit to the husband. He is the co-cooker of the meal (a rarity, but welcomed!). I was responsible for the ingredient list, but he really did all the measuring and watching. Since, in a rush for work, I simply only put the ingredients in the crockpot. Well, having never made this before, I did not really know how much seasoning to add. Good ol' hubby of mine took care of all that for me. He did so good! It was and is yummy! Totally scored leftovers for lunch! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 Tbs Au Jus (or Beef) Base (like beef bullion cubes, but SO much better...promise on this!)
Italian Seasoning/Soup Blend (recipe below) or 2 envelopes of Dry Italian Dry Soup Mix
2 lb Beef Roast
8-16 oz of Pepperocini Rings
Bread (Subs, Hoagie Rolls, Etc) of choice

Directions:
1) Add the first 4 ingredients in the crock-pot.
2) Cook on low 6-7 hours.
3) Right before serving, shred beef with a fork and add in pepperocini rings.
4) Service on Bread as sandwiches! Enjoy!


Dry Italian Seasoning Mix:
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp basil
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
1 tsp italian seasoning
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs sugar (I substitued 1 of the Tbs with Splenda)

Mix all together. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment