Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Teriyaki Tuna Steaks

This was my first attempt at making tuna steaks. I had planned on buying trout, but then the whim hit me to buy tuna steaks. Well, at first, all I seen at the store was frozen for like $10 for 2 steaks. Wha?? That's crazy! Well, I lucked out and found 2 steaks marked for quick sale! So, into my cart they went.

Now, I like tuna. Some of my favorite sushi has tuna and I like tuna salad sandwiches. I had always seen tuna steaks out and about but had only had one tuna steak sandwich outside of the good ol' canned sort. Well, I think I'll generally stick to the canned sort. I guess, with these, I just expected more. I always thought of tuna steaks has a "gourmet-ish" kind of entree...guess it was the high price and hoity-toity fancy-smansh surrounding the idea of the tuna steak.  I was a bit disappointed. It tasted just like the canned type, but a little dryer. Mind you, the dryness was due to the fact that tuna steaks are "ideally" to be served rare to medium-rare and I cooked ours about medium well, but really! Why would I pay a hefty price when the canned stuff is sooo much cheaper???? Guess I really shouldn't be disappointed that canned tuna taste just like tuna steaks! Ha ha!

Okay, this wasn't bad, but I won't be going out and buying tuna steaks, especially when they are in the higher price range.  I think the husband liked these better than me. I think it is kind of a personal thing. If you really  like tuna, hey, these might be just for you. They certainly look pretty :). Here's the  recipe, if you're feeling froggy. Of course, this is my version. You know, I had to tweek. Oh, FYI, I definitely recommend doubling the marinade recipe below.

Marinade:
1 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 small can of pineapple, use only about 1-2 Tbs of juice & drain the rest
 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper 
1 lb tuna steaks

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.
2) Preheat grill (I only have an indoor grill)
3) Grill steaks until cooked through as desired. Serve.

These cool quite quickly, so, you would want to serve them close to when they finish cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment