Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Oh, How I Love Thee, Asparagus.

I know, the first thing you see when you look at this pictures is 'da burger. I challenge you, look beyooond 'da burger...oooooh. See that green stuff with a hint of red? Yeah that. Not the hunk of meat on a bun. That other stuff is asparagus with tomato. And, might I say, Yuuummmmmyyyyy! But, yes, the burger was good - although I still need to perfect that cooking process. Any ideas?

As for the asparagus, 'twas mostly a happy little accident/spur of the moment recipe. I had not planned on making this deliciousness. But, I had just come home from my long perils of roaming to and fro, searching and scrounging, and laboriously selecting and organizing...Or, more simply, grocery shopping. Hey! Cut me some slack! So what if I like to grocery shop alone most of the time to better "get in the zone" and focus. Plus,  I was coupon-ing (thus, more focus needed)). Yeah, after my grocery quest, I was hungry for a late dinner. I had been thinking about a burger all day. I had thought I would stop at a drive-thru, but decided to make my own since I had picked up the hubby some frozen hamburger patties for a later date. As I was shopping, I notice fresh asparagus was on sale! Yippee! I really love asparagus! Like, a lot. Probably second to sugar snap peas, which are my numero uno. Well, as I was preparing my burger, I thought to myself that asparagus would be super yum and be something healthy to eat along with the burger...to help balance it all out, ya know? I think it was rationalization for the burger...ha!

Well, I thought I would saute the 'sparagus in light butter. Then, I thought, what the heck, I'll through the ends of my roma tomato I had slice for the burger in with the asparagus. Then, I was like, well, hey, people are always putting parmesan on asparagus. So, that when in the pan, too. Well, if I had known it was going to be so tasty, I would have probably taken a better picture! But, I had starting scarfing, *clear throat*, I mean eating the asparagus, and well.......It's in my belly. Bottom line.

This recipe is another easy one! A keeper for me and it was fast-ready in about 7 minutes, depending on how well done you prefer your asparagus. Here's the recipe.

Sauteed Asparagus with Tomato and Parmesan

Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh asparagus (about 1 lb)
1 roma tomato. chopped
3/4 Tbs parmasan cheese, shredded
1/2-1 Tbs butter (again, I used light butter)
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1) Rinse asparagus to clean. Pat dry. 
2) Cut or break off the very ends of the asparagus (they tend to be slightly hard if you don't cut them off) and dispose of ends.
3) Melt butter in skillet. Season asparagus with salt & pepper. Saute asparagus in skillet until desired doneness (it will turn bright green (cooked but still a little crunchy) and then darken and get softer the longer it cooks). Serving the asparagus when it is bright green is the "proper" way to cook asparagus, according to chefs, but do it how you like it!
4) When asparagus is almost done, toss in chopped roma tomato. Cook 1-2 minutes longer.
4) Turn off heat. Sprinkle with parmesan, Toss & Serve warm. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment