Thursday, April 28, 2011

OBG Salmon



O to the B to the G Salmon! Oh yeah! This was is a "winner winner (not a chicken dinner though)"! Here's the breakout, yo...
O is for Orange
+
B is for Balsamic
+
G is for Garlic
=
Fabulous!

Can a got a "wha, what"? Okay...fine...I'll chill (just a wee bit). As you may already tell, I liked this recipe. So much, in fact, I will make again and have already passed it along to a fellow fish-lover.

Well, I have been slackin' in the cooking department since we have been out of town visiting my in-laws and busy with other stuff. But the time came that I was wanting something different from what I had been having that was healthy and yum.

So, I splurged and bought some awesome fresh salmon at our local Kroger (with my coupon..heck, yes, I do coupon!). Hmmm...what to go with? Decided on two of my favorite veggies, Sweet Potatoes and Asparagus. Also, the hubby likes the hollandaise with his salmon, generally. So, I totally cheat and buy the package kind. I need to make it from scratch one day, I am sure it is waaaaay better, but until then...package works.

I went on the hunt for a good salmon recipe. I narrowed it down to two choices and let the hubby pick (might save the other for a later date). He picked the Rosemary Balsamic Salmon. So, into the kitchen I went. Well, I began exactly following the recipe, being careful to get everything according to the directions, and ....NOT! What are you thinking?? Of course, I changed it. ha ha. BUT I'd like to think it is for the better. So, I'll stick with mine. A happy little recipe tweek that turned into a wonderful semi-creation.

The flavor breakdown: Hard to describe. I was afraid the vinegar would make it too tart, but not so! The sweetness of the OJ balanced the tartness of the vinegar wonderfully. Plus, add in the hint of rosemary and the awesomeness of garlic and...voila! It was a great combination. This did not have a "heavy" or overwhelming flavor, just perfectly balanced. There was not "one" dominating taste, just..well, very pleasant. Don't know how else to describe. Guess you'll just have to try it for yourself. (Yes, that's a challenge).

For the sides:
1) I simply made sweet potatoes the good ol' fashioned way - wrapped in foil and baked in the oven (served mine with cinnamon).
2) As for the asparagus, I seasoned with fresh garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Then, I roasted in a 400 degree oven for about 15 min (stinkin' yum...I think I have garlic in my pores, now).

Now to the salmon (my version)...
Ingredients for Marinade:
1/4 cup Juice of an Orange
2-3 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
2 cloves fresh Garlic, minced
1 tsp dried rosemary leaves (not the powder, if you use powder, I'd probably use about 1/2 tsp)
1/2 Tbs Olive Oil (extra-virgin for me)
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients. Marinade in fridge, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
2) Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork (wish I had a grill for this!)
3) Serve and yum!

P.S. The hollandaise, if choose to make, is drizzled (or in the husband's case-poured), over the asparagus and fish. Really recommend it, but so not good for you. It's basically egg yolks and butter and milk.

  
Doesn't it look so yummy?
Nom. Nom. Nom.



No comments:

Post a Comment