Monday, April 11, 2011

MM's Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas

No...NOT M & M's...Geez, get your mind out of the chocolate! MM's means "Maxie's Mom's". One fine day, I arrived at work and behold a FREE of pan of enchiladas. Yes, FREE. Mind you, enchiladas are another food I loooovvvve. I want to hug them, squeeze them, kiss them...okay...really, I just want to EAT them. Well,  Maxie's mom is a phenomenal cook (like, everything I have ever tasted she has made is perfect). Now, enchiladas are not typically a type of food her mom prefers (she does "country" cooking), but Yippee! for me...Maxie's Mom had a craving for some enchiladas. Well, Maxie's mom had made a whole pan for only two people. Luckily, we were blessed to partake of the extras.

Yes, they were slammin' and jammin'!!!!  Meaning, they were stinkin' YUMMY! Well, those darn enchiladas haunted my cravings, so, I had Maxie get the recipe for me. Well, since Maxie's mom has been cooking for a long time, she doesn't really measure (a trait of a "real" cook, in my opinion). So, basically, I got a list of ingredients. Of course, my enchiladas were not as good as her mom's and I changed it a wee bit -like I didn't roast a whole chicken, just chicken breasts. I know, *sigh* the whole chicken would have been tastier, but they were still really good! And, mine ended up a littler "saucier" than MMs'.

I had been searching for a "tweek" to my current enchiladas recipe-which have earned a slot in my dinner rotation. These were almost the same as the one I had been using, only "amped" up, which it what I was looking for.

One more picture...
Now, the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded (I used chicken breasts, but trust me, the whole chicken is better!)
1 jar of salsa
4 oz (lowfat) cream cheese
1 large can of red enchilada sauce
1/2-3/4 bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
8-10 tortillas (I used Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas-5g net carbs, 6g protein, 7g fiber, 60 cal="healthy" tortilla)
1/2 cup-1 cup shredded cheese

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2)In a saucepan on medium heat, combine salsa, cream cheese, spinach, and 1/2 can of enchiladas sauce. 
3) Stir until cream cheese has melted and spinach is wilted/cooked
4) Toss in cooked, shredded chicken. Stir to combine
5) Pour 1/4 can of enchilada sauce in bottom of a 9x13 pan (prevents the enchiladas from sticking!)
6) Fill tortillas with chicken mixture. Roll up. Place seam-side down in the dish. 
7) Once all tortillas are filled, Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.Sprinkle with cheese.
8) Bake 15-20 min or until warm and bubbly. Serve and yum!


Funny tid-bit, which I choose to express in a dialog below: 
I was a little concerned about the spinach and the husband. Green vegetable + somewhat picky meat eater = questionable success in terms of "hubby standards". BUT, after we were done,
Aaron said, "Well, that confirms my suspicion." 
"Of what?," I uttered.
"That just about anything tastes good in an enchilada." 
To which I replied, "Nuh uh, you don't like rice that much in an enchilada (I may or may not have sort of smugly mentioned)".
 "Well, That's because it's rice," he retorted.
"And, you don't like corn either in them," I replied (because I had totally tried that one before)
"True, but that's because it's crunchy," he said.
Yeah, bottom line is...he liked dang spinach in the enchilada! ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment