Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mamma Mia Manicotti!

Ha ha. That's what I'll call it, at least. However, the "real" name was Meat-Filled Manicotti. Boooring! Especially when it is super yummy! This was  "new" recipe for me. Well, sort of. The ingredients are pretty much the same as any Italian, baked dish, however, I had never actually made wondrous version.

So, I know. No picture! I have to get my butt in gear! Por favor, forgive! My batteries were dead and my tummy was rumbling. Priorities, people!

The hubby and I do not eat a lot of pasta in general (or rice either-we are more of bean and 'tater people) but I have a want for it more than he. As such, whenever I have a craving for Italian fare, I often partake of the freezer sort. So, it is a rare occasion I actually cook Italian. Alas, I had a craving and a new challenge to take on!

Well, dinner was on the agenda, but I really wanted to do some yard work after I arrived home from the office. Now, I had a dilemma. Manicotti is not a "throw together" dish in that it takes time to assemble. I knew that if I made the dish when I got home, I wouldn't get to do my yard work (will post pics of the pretty flower later, maybe). What to do, what to do....I decided I would take a "rest day" from the gym this a.m. and prep my Mamma Mia Manicotti. Good thing I did. This sucker took me like 50 minutes to assemble....plus, like lasagna, the dish takes about another 45 minutes in the oven. I would have been a starvin' marvin'! But this was sooooooo worth it. Really. Really. Good.

Pros: 1) A good "make ahead" dish
           2) Hearty and filling
           3)a "safe" dish that almost all will like
           4) Stinkin' yummy!
Cons: 1) A little time consuming (that's all I have on the negative)

So, I may or may not have over-cooked it a tad....Hey! I was outside gardening (and my flower are so pretty and I can't wait for my tomato plants to grow!!!!)! No worries, it wasn't too brown...just more than we would have liked. I will also add more herbs to the meat, which I will include in the recipe below. Here's the recipe (Feel free to Google "manicotti" if you are unsure of what it looks like). FYI, this makes quite a bit...like 6-7 servings. Yep...we totally had leftovers! Sweet!

Meat Mixture
1 lb Ground Beef (I used 93% lean)
2 oz of Italian Sausage
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Tbs Italian Seasoning
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Cheese-Filling
1) 1 1/2 cups Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 Egg Whites
1/2  Tbs dried Oregeno
1 Tbs Italian Seasoning
1 cup Mozzarella, shredded

Other
1 (32 oz) jar of Pasta Sauce (Prego for moi)
1 pkg of Manicotti shells (14 in a package)
1 cup Mozzarella, shredded

1) In a boiling pot of water, cook manicotti until about halfway cooked (cooking halfway well help stuffing them). Drain. Let cool.
2) Brown both meats in skillet. Drain. Set aside to cool.
3) In a bowl, combine all ingredients of cheese mixture. Once combined, stir in cooled meat mixture. Set aside.
4) Pour about 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.
5) Place meat and cheese mixture in a sandwich baggie. Snip off one of corners of the baggie using scissors. Pipe the meat/cheese mixture into the manicotti.. Place in the casserole dish.
6) Continue until all manicotti are filled.
7) Pour remaining pasta sauce over manicotti.
8) Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
9) Bake on 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Serve and yum!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE MANICOTTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Once again...you did not invite me over for supper! I'm hurt (and I was hungry too). LOL! jk

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I should've invited you-there was plenty to share! Sorry! Maybe next time...since now I know you love it so much :).

    ReplyDelete