Saturday, April 16, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza on Honey Wheat

Well, this one came about by the need to use up some Rotisserie Chicken given to use by Granny. Upon our last visit home, she had given us A LOT of leftover rotisserie chicken. Well, it was a lot for two people. In the beginning, Aaron may himself chicken caesar salads and I made a buffalo chicken wrap and such. But after a couple of days, we were a little burnt out. So, I stuck the chicken in the freezer for a later time.

The later time came. I had been thinking of converting the chicken into bbq sandwiches, but decided on pizza instead. FYI I really really love Mr. Gatti's BBQ Chicken Pizza. This wasn't Gatti's but it still was good, nonetheless.

Now, I do not have the best experience with recipes that require yeast-Most of the time, they do not turn out just so. Trust me, I check my water temp., but maybe I over-knead? Who knows...bread-making is a challenge I hope to eventually master. But, I found a very quick and healthy pizza dough recipe I thought I'd try. It is a honey wheat crust which I thought would complement bbq chicken very well. Did I mention is was healthy?

I mixed up my dough and noticed it was quit a wet dough....not fluffy. Odd. But, this is made using whole wheat flour, which is denser than all purpose flour, so, I added more flour when I kneaded a bit. Ready for baking. Well, the baker is then suppose to pre-bake the dough for about 10 minutes before putting on the toppings. Well, silly ol' me put on the bbq sauce THEN remembered to prebake. So, it was prebaked with the bbq sauce on. Not ruined, but the crust was not exact.

I then added my toppings and baked longer. I had to end up baking the pizza until browned a bit much in order to correct my pre-baking misstep. Oh, well, accidents happen. It's all a part of learning about cooking, in my opinion. It still tasted good (just not perfecto, as I desire)!

At first bite, I was not sure if I was going to like it. But this pizza had that sort characteristic that, the more I ate it, the more I liked it. The hubby agreed on this. Something about this, we both really liked. I think it was the combination of flavors and textures: the slightly sweet yet hearty and dense whole wheat crust mixed with the sweet, smooth barbecue sauce, plus the zip and crunch of the onion, addition of the "goo" (cheese), and the yumminess of the rotisserie chicken.  Need I say more?

So, next time, I'll work on perfecting a crust, (or just buy one - yes, sometimes I do choose the easier option) and add more cheese. Besides that...yum!

P.S. You can totally buy your own pre-made crust and use the bbq chicken toppings listed below. Sometimes convenience wins!


Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
1 (.25 oz) package of dry active yeast
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 Tbs honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (I used milled flax seed instead)
1 tsp salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2) Combine dry active yeast and warm water in bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes until creamy-looking.
3) In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, wheat germ/flax seed, and salt.
4) Make a "well" in the flour mixture. Pour the honey and yeast mix into the "well".
5)Stir slightly until combined. Let set in warm place for about 10 minutes (dough should rise some).
6) Roll out on lightly floured pizza pan. 
7) Prick holes in dough using a fork.
8) Bake for 10 min. Remove from oven. 

BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken, pulled/shredded
1 1/2 cups mozzerella cheese (or any other kind you prefer)
3/4 cup red onion, chopped finely
1 cup bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's-the BEST bbq sauce)

Directions:
1) Pour and spread bbq sauce evenly on pizza.
2) Top evenly with cheese, onion, and chicken (I had combined my chicken with a couple of Tbs of chicken for extra flavor). 
3) Bake for about 10 min or until lightly browned. Cut and serve. Yum!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy...and two words for you : BREAD MACHINE!

    ReplyDelete