Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oh-So-Yummy-In-My-Tummy Shrimp Crepes


Yay! I finally did it! I made crepes! Making crepes has been a technique that has interested me for a while. It has definitely been one of those things I have wanted to try to make for a long time. Well, tonight was the night. Hot-diggitiy-dog. Well, all recipes have a story. This one happens to a doozy. So, here goes the tale of the yummy-tummy shrimp crepes...

Well, I received my issue of Food Network Magazine this past week. Generally, I don't find many of their recipes practical or really my style. But, this one has a couple of good ones in it (next up may be a Grilled Cheese Prosciutto-Date Sandwich (?)). One the car-ride to drop off my hubby at the airport for his "vay-cay" (Translation: annoying word for "vacation"), I decided to take advantage of the spare time and read the latest edition. 'Tis true, my eyes found the "Chicken and Asparagus Crepes" recipe. Sounded darn good and I decided I wanted to try. But of course, I didn't follow the recipe! What would you expect...for me to actually follow the recipe exactly???? Yeah, right!

First off, to my defense, the recipe calls for store-bought crepes. Ha! Right...don't think I will found those in my small ol' town. Let's just say crepes are not a common food item here (now, if you want some slammin' gyros and sushi, this small town does have those :)). Plus, buying crepes takes all the stinkin' fun out of it (and totally obliterates my crepe-making objective). Second, I didn't have asparagus and I didn't have chicken. Yep, definitely two big "don't-haves". So, being a believer of using what you have (aka not following the recipe), I used what I did have...shrimp, broccoli, and cauliflower. So, to appease my wants and current resources, I combined 3 recipes to formulate my 1 Oh-so-yummy-in-my-tummy recipe. Gosh, it was good! The 3-part recipe consisted  of 1) finding a basic crepe recipe, 2) finding a good shrimp recipe, and 3) using the original food network recipe.

This was delicious!!!! I will say, I do believe I need to make my crepes a little thinner next time (or maybe they were how they were suppose to be?). And I found out what they say is true...the first crepes does not turn out :(. My mistake with the first crepes was that my pan was not hot enough (no worries, the rest turned out). And might I say, I displayed some decent crepe-flipping skills! It is all in the wrist. Oh, yeah, had me some smooth moves! Joking! Anyway, this is a definite keeper. Being this was the first time I made this, it did take me a while and has a lot of steps, but it was worth it. Definitely. Here's the recipe. It serves 4.

Basic Crepe:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs (used egg substitute)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs butter, melted (and used light butter)

Cheese-Herb Filling:
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (used cheap ol' jar stuff, probably would have been awesome if I used fresh)
1 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese (used lowfat)
1/4 cup chopped herbs (dill, mint, chives, or parsley...used 1 tbs dried parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste

Shrimp & Veggie Filling:
1-1 1/2 pounds thawed, uncooked, shrimp (tales removed)
1/2 chopped onion
1 Tbs butter (used light butter)
2 cloves of garlic (used garlic powder to taste)
3/4 bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower, thawed
Salt and pepper to taste

Simple Sauce:
3/4 cup of Chicken stock
1/4 of Chopped onion
1 tsp Lemon zest
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs flour

Directions:
1) For crepes, combine wet ingredients. Whisk in flour until loose batter is formed (add water if want batter to be thinner, if desired)
2) Preheat skillet on medium-high heat. Grease with non-stick spray very well. Pour batter. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bottom of crepes is lightly browned. Use your "smooth moves" to flip the crepe and cook other side (conjure the power within...you can do it!). Set finished crepes aside and repeat until all are cooked.
3) For shrimp filling, Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is translucent. Add in shrimp and veggies. Salt and pepper the filling. Cook until shrimp is pink (don't overcook!). Set aside.
4) For cheese-herb filling, mix all together. Set aside.
5) Assemble crepes by putting in shrimp and cheese-herb filling into the crepes. Then, roll up crepes. (If you want to heat through, just pop in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes)
6) To make simple sauce, saute onion in butter until translucent. Add flour and cook through. Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Cook until sauce has thickened. Add in salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Pour over finished crepes.

2 comments: