Monday, March 7, 2011

Mini Chicken Cordon Bleu

'Twas a dinner of Chicken Cordon Bleu's, green beans, and butter beans (ok, so, I like beans!). I am generally bugging my husband about "what sounds good", aka what should I try to make. He mentioned that he had not had chicken cordon bleu in a while. I agreed that it sounded yummy and so it began.
First off, I remembered that I had purchased chicken tenderloins at the recent trip to the grocery and not chicken breasts. Hmmm, me thinks to myself...how to do this. Of course, I utilized one of my 
favorite resources...Google. If I need to know just about anything, "Google it!", I say!

In my googling escapade,  I came across a recipe for mini chicken cordon bleu that used chicken tenderloins! Perfecto! But of course, my need to tweek is incessant. Then, I went to my other favorite site, allrecipes. I need research! What I did was combine two recipes, one for the chicken, the other for my sauce.

The result was success! It was ruled a definite make-again dinner (by husband and a friend) and it is so gosh-darn pretty! Definitely make if you want to impress someone. While this is time-consuming, it is worth it. I prepared mine the night before, then baked it the next night for supper (because I knew I'd be a starvin' marvin after work). Don't be scared by the extra-time this takes...it is still definitely do-able if you prepare. My only personal critique was that the "sauce" was not ideal for me. Maybe that was just me since the other two dinners thought it to be tasty. I'll leave that one up to you. Here goes...

Ingredients:
Chicken:
12-20 chicken breast tenderloins
1 slice of Swiss cheese per 4 tenderloins
1/2 lb ham (deli counter)
20-ish toothpicks
Egg Wash
2 eggs whisked with 2 Tbs water
Flour Mixture
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Panko Crumbs
2 cups Panko bread crumbs (can be found at Walmart or other grocers)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
Creamy Sauce
1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of chicken soup (I used low sodium)
1 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat)
1 tsp lemon juice
Pepper & Parsley to taste

Directions:
1) Pound out chicken tenders to flatten
2) Place 1/4 of slice of swiss cheese and 1/4 slice of ham inside chicken tender. Roll up and secure with toothpick (s). Set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and water for egg wash
4) In a separate bowl, combine flour mixture ingredients
5) In (another) separate bowl, combine panko mixture ingredients
6) First, dip rolled-up chicken in flour mixture. Then, dip in egg wash. Lastly, dip in panko mixture. Place mini chicken cordon bleus in greased casserole dish. (If you are making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator overnight.)
6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through.
7) For sauce, while chicken is baking, combine all the sauce ingredients on stovetop. Simmer on low heat.
8) Remove chicken from oven. Let rest a couple of minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve & Yum!











3 comments:

  1. It DOES look tasty! And the blog is a nice touch. I'll be checking back in with you, Miss!

    BTW, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About time. Now, instead of posting about cooking, just come over to my house and cook dor me. That sounds like a great plan!Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? You didn't invite me to test it?! For shame!

    That's ok. You can make it again...maybe a Chamber night or S-10. LOL!

    It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete