Friday, March 25, 2011

Chicken a la Alfredo & Blackened

Behold, the chicken of the alfredo & blackened. Ta da! Had to make it sound fancy! Har Har! Last night's dinner was one to fill my craving for a "hearty" meal. The "hubs" (aka Aaron) had been out of town on his "vay-cay" (ie vacation) last week. As such, I ate things I wanted...meaning not so "heavy" foods. For instance, I had really  been craving shrimp... Since the hubs thinks shrimp to be "not filling"...Really?... He's a guy so I guess when it is not a side of beef, he might have a *small* point. Okay, back on the subject at hand, bottom line is, I was starvin' like a marvin' for something yummy and filling. Well, as much as I wanted to "pig out", I still try and convince myself to not go all out and maintain some measure of healthy. So, the answer to my dilemma? Why pasta, I do say!

Alfredo is something that, when ordered out, can be super bad for you (Think heavy cream, butter, refined white flour, etc...you get the point). While, I shall not judge those who prefer dining of alfredo during a night on the town (because who are we kidding...it IS quite tasty), me being me had to "health-it-up", so to speak.

I had the bottle sort of alfredo. But, the homemade stuff is better tasting and better for you! Plus, Aaron requested homemade. And as this was for "dinner", dear sirs, I found the request appropriate. Off to cook I go. Keep in mind the recipe measurements are "guesstimate" since I didn't measure exactly.

I used Smart Balance Spaghetti. This is a brand I recommend for those who do not care for the texture of whole wheat pasta. I have found Smart Balance pasta to be quite close to regular white pasta. It doesn't have the undesirable toughness as some whole wheat pastas. We all know how to cook pasta. No instructions needed.

For the Alfredo Sauce: Saute onions and mushrooms in a pan with 1 Tbs light butter until soft. Then, add in about 2 Tbs flour and cook 2-3 minutes. Next, whisk in 2 1/2-3 cups of milk, 1 Tbs garlic powder, 1 Tbs dried parsley, 1 Tbs lowfat cream cheese, 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue whisking until sauce thickens. Once thickened, add the juice of 1/4 of a lemon for a swig of freshness.

*Helpful Hint: If you like your alfredo "extra saucy", double the alfredo sauce recipe. I found I almost always underestimate the amount of sauce I need, since the pasta really absorbs the sauce. Not enough yummy "goo" = a dry alfredo dish = not good.

For the Blackened Chicken: Season chicken breast tenderloins with salt, pepper, & Zataran's blackened season. I then grilled mine on the good ol' George Foreman until done. Then, cut up chicken into bit size pieces and add to the alfredo sauce.


 
Drain pasta. Add sauce & chicken to pasta. Stir and serve.

I served with Bisquick Cheddar Biscuits. These are similar to Red Lobster's Cheddar Biscuits. The recipes requires you to only add water and bake in the oven. If you are feeling frisk and want to amp up the flavor, add extra garlic powder and cheddar.

1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds delish! Love, love, love alfredo...blackened chicken is usually good w/it too.

    ReplyDelete